The task of locating and hiring a great employee can be both difficult and stressful; but, it just got whole lot easier, less time-consuming and less expensive. Technology isn’t always a better solution, especially for dealing with the people issues; however, there’s a new, impressive online tool which I think is well worth considering – especially if you are in a small or medium-sized business.
The Applicant Processing System (APS) enables companies to have 24/7 online recruiting that will assure more applications for each job posting and provide a ranking of those applicants based on your criteria.
Here’s how it works. Suppose you are looking for a new salesperson. You would go through these steps:
- Establish goals and objectives for the role. Create a job description.
- Decide what skills are required. Are you looking for a ‘hunter’ or a ‘farmer’? An inside or outside salesperson?
- Identify questions to narrow the focus. For example, if the job absolutely requires travel, ask, “Are you available for overnight travel?” An applicant who responds “no” will be screened out and you never see their résumé; whereas in the past if you received 200 résumés you needed to read every single one, because your best candidate might be #195 in the pile.
- The APS taps into many Internet job boards to find candidates. It pulls in all suitable résumés, and invites candidates to your website where they enter the APS process.
- You receive and read only the résumés of those individuals who most closely match your job description and important criteria.
- Do a quick telephone interview with those who might fit your job and decide if you want to invite them to the next stage of the process, which is to complete another on-line exercise – the Prevue Assessment.
- The Prevue goes beyond basic questions that the candidate could ‘fool’ and reveals a more accurate picture of their mental skills, interests and personality traits. The accuracy and validation are excellent – which means that what you see is what you get. Candidates are measured on a scale of 1-10, on four mental abilities, three interests and twelve personality traits. These are then automatically compared to the “benchmark” or template you’ve created to establish the best fit for the job.
- Invite the top candidates to interview. The Prevue provides interview questions to further enhance your understanding of the individual based on your benchmark and its comparison to the candidate.
- Once you’ve chosen the successful candidate and offered him/her a position you can generate another report that will help in coaching and training.
It’s a dream come true for the hiring manager. It’s a proven, automated process that:
- increases your candidate pool,
- screens out inappropriate applicants,
- ranks the rest in order of best fit,
- provides helpful questions, and,
- assures a better success rate of hiring the best fit for your job.
It’s fast. It’s accurate. It’s inexpensive. It saves you time and money.
For more details, contact me here.